The average hospital stay after hip surgery is between 3 to 5 days. You will be discharged when you can perform certain skills such as getting out of the bed alone, using the toilet, showering yourself and climbing stairs.
Based on careful assessment of your condition and after discussion with you, your family, the hospital discharge planner and Dr. Al Muderis will reach a decision regarding your discharge destination. If you go straight home, you will need help at home for several weeks. If this is too difficult or you are not ready you may need to spend some time at a rehabilitation centre.
The following tips can help make your homecoming much easier:
- Give a copy of your home key to a trusted family member.
- Pay all your bills (such as telephone, gas, electricity etc.) prior to your hospital stay so that you don’t have to worry about them after discharge.
- Keep some money at home so you won’t need to go to the bank.
- Make an arrangement to get fresh groceries delivered to you at home after surgery.
- At home, place items you use frequently within reach so you do not have to reach up or bend down.
- Rearrange furniture so you can get about on a walker or crutches. You may want to change rooms so you sleep on the ground floor rather than travelling upstairs to your bedroom.
- Remove any items that may cause you slipping such as rugs, floor mats and electrical cords.
- Install disabled fittings in your bath such as shower chair, grab bar, and raised toilet in the bathroom.
- Ask a member of your family or a close friend to stay with you for the first few weeks after surgery or at least to check on you regularly.
- Keep important phone numbers handy such us our phone, your local medical officer and the emergency service numbers.
If your condition requires that you go to rehabilitation hospital then the discharge planner and the nursing staff will arrange your transfer under the care of one of our trusted rehabilitation physicians that we deal with on a regular basis. The choice of the hospital will be determined based on your preference and the availability of beds.